Greeting Homeschooling Parents,
I am writing to introduce a new educational service: Learn to Learn. My goal is to foster an environment where students learn for themselves. Unlike some approaches, I believe they need to be taught this process, and not expected to simply absorb knowledge.
1st to 6th graders in mixed age classrooms. Minimum of 6 students, maximum of 15 per class.
Weekly classes in Latin, Science, and Spanish. Where?
Westside: Near Paseo del Norte and Golf Course
Eastside: To be announced (am looking at locations near Eubank I-40)
East Mountain: I hope to add this soon—let me know if you are interested. When?
The Summer II classes start August 1. Fall Classes begin September1. Classes meet once a week for 2 or 3 hours. Why Learn to Learn?
- Safety. Adults other than parents must pass background checks. Parent volunteers must be fingerprinted. No adult or parent volunteer will be left alone with children.
- An 8-year veteran instructor teaches all classes. All classes have solid content. NO BABYSITTING HERE.
- Passionate Classical education advocate: spearheaded formation of classical school set to open this fall (separate from Learn to Learn). I am excited about learning and helping my students learn.
- I have a natural and professional interest in questioning and listening. I enjoy multi-aged classrooms because of the dynamics of the younger children observing the older children and the older students having to express ideas in clear language as they help the younger students. My listening skills are important because they give students the freedom to articulate ideas with the terms they have learned and truly make those ideas their own.
- Students learn real Latin, science and Spanish. My teaching experience across earth science, biology, chemistry and physics allows the class to spend time doing real science experiments and using the scientific method as appropriate to the students age. The language courses will include grammar, writing, reading (if age-appropriate) and conversation. As always my goal is to show students a pattern to they can learn more on their own.
I have one child enrolled at The Family School in Albuquerque. I have had the opportunity to teach science to my daughter’s K-4 classroom this past year. This experience confirmed my preference for multi-aged classrooms.
Contact Rick Johnson at 270-9204 or email@example.com to ask questions, schedule a visit to an existing class or to meet to discuss the educational needs for your child.
Classes are taught by Rick Johnson, Bachelor of Science from University of Illinois at Chicago, 1992, 8 years experience teaching science.
My objective is to have students enjoy Latin, Science and Spanish more by engaging in it than by hearing about it. “Show me, don’t tell me!”
Latin is a classical language, an the study of Latin is the cornerstone of classical education. (If you think the cornerstone is Greek—I won’t argue too hard.) Science and Spanish are taught classically in three ways:
1. The Latin roots of both subjects are emphasized.
2. The subject is placed in its historical context.
3. The teaching proceeds from basic knowledge to understanding relationships among ideas in the field to expressing the ideas persuasively.FEES
4-Week classes are $99 for 2-hr/week classes; $146 for 3-hr/week classes
12-Week classes are $297 for 2-hr/week classes; $438 for 3-hr/weekclasses
Sibling pricing: first child receives no discount. Each additional child receives a 23% discount. Can’t afford Learn to Learn?:
Talk to me about your concerns. I would love to hear them. If there is a solution such as in-kind payments I am open to it. If there is no solution, I will be straightforward about that also. http://www.learntolearn.us