Hi Johnny and family,
Wow, what a sad thing you witnessed when you visited that church-based homeschooling group.
In no way is that typical of homeschooling; sadly, it gives us all a bad name.
Rest assured, there are MANY wonderful groups in Albuquerque that you can explore that are all-inclusive and much more balanced.
I highly encourage you to shop around and join as many of the local groups that pertain to you. There is no need to be loyal to just one.
Enjoy the give-and-take of each depending on how much y'all can handle.
Just to name a few . . .
1. ABQ Homeschool Co-op (w/ a social-focus and some ongoing classes)
2. Albuquerque Homeschool Enrichment Community (w/an academic-focus, no socials)
3. New Mexico Homeschool Community (an information outlet and more)
4. Albuquerque Homeschool Science Co-op (science programs)
5. Albuquerque Homeschool Adventure Club (activities & meet-ups)
6. Albuquerque Unschoolers (meet-ups & more)
7. ERC - Enrichment Resource Center on Comanche (clearinghouse of info & more)
8. Rio Grande Homeschoolers
and many, many more . . .
Each group has their own pluses & minuses; regardless, you'll learn how to maneuver, who you "click" with as a family, and what your kiddo likes.
Draw the best from each, give back as much as you can, and compassionately handle tolerable/forgivable flaws.
It may take you a little while to find your niche, but you will. Press on, mom & dad. You guys will be fine!
This journey is truly worth it - you won't be alone. There are 1,000s of homeschoolers in ABQ alone!